Facilities & Asset Manager
Cafe and Catering Business Lease Opportunity
Are you looking for a new challenge? Do you want to expand your business? An exciting opportunity has arisen to lease the cafe and associated catering business at Wyre Forest House, Kidderminster.
The deadline for expressions of interest is noon Monday 7 January 2019.
Step inside Wyre Forest House
Wyre Forest House provides a high quality, modern and flexible working environment with contemporary and professional offices and meeting rooms which are adaptable to meet all business needs. Occupiers of the building benefit from a light, bright and inspiring working environment.
The building is host to both Wyre Forest District Council employees and tenants of the building. We have attracted both private and public sector tenants to Wyre Forest House due to the superb facilities we have to offer in this statement building. Wyre Forest House has 258 desk spaces which are used by approximately 350 staff and tenants. The building attracts visitors and members of the public for public service and business reasons and is located in an area that is surrounded by a large number of companies and workers who also have access to the facilities.
Wyre Forest House is more than just somewhere to work. There is a range of social and wellbeing activities held during the lunchtime period which staff and tenants can participate in and the cafe area is a key factor in supporting the community culture of the building.
Wyre Forest House is located on the A451 (Minster Road), Kidderminster
Introduction and background
Since the opening of the building in September 2012 an external catering provider has provided a cafe and meeting hospitality service within the building. The current catering contract arrangement ends on 31 August 2019. We are therefore seeking expressions of interest for the letting of the cafe area to provide a cafe/catering business lease opportunity.
The cafe is located in the public area of the building which is available to staff, tenants, visitors and members of the public. The cafe currently offers a cafe-deli service offering drinks, healthy salads, sandwiches and some hot food items. The contractor is also the sole provider of meeting hospitality, providing refreshments and food for both internal conference room users and hirers of our public meeting rooms.
The area includes a food preparation, storage, server counter, dining area, chef’s office and benefits from its own self-contained access arrangements for opening and locking.
Current seating capacity
Seating for up to 50
Current opening hours
Monday-Friday, 08.30 am to 2.30 pm
Estimated twelve month electric usage costs
Approximately £1,200 per annum
Estimated twelve month gas usage costs (heating only)
Approximately £230 per annum
Estimated twelve month water usage costs
Approximately £330 per annum
Cafe Area layout plan (total area = 161 sq m)
Existing contractor trading data
For the period December 2017 to November 2018 the current contractor has achieved an income of just under £40,000 for over the counter sales, and £11,000 income from hospitality.
The council’s room booking system indicates that for the period 31 October 2017 to 1 November 2018 just under 12% of the public meeting room bookings were provided with catering. However, the council has recently introduced and is currently promoting delegate day rate and half day rate packages for our conference room hire, which we are confident will increase the number of room hire bookings with catering provision.
Wyre Forest House operating details
- Wyre Forest House is open to the public with a serviced reception provided between the hours of 9-00am and 5-00pm weekdays only.
- Wyre Forest House is open to staff and tenants (Monday to Friday) between the hours of 7.00 am and 7.30 pm. The building is normally locked at 8-00 pm during weekdays unless there is a special event and no access at weekends.
- Wyre Forest House is not open for Bank Holidays and is closed for a few days over the Christmas and New Year period. Shut down dates can be provided.
- The building is fully DDA compliant.
- Free public Wi-Fi throughout the building.
- Printing, Scanning and Faxing - use of a Canon Multi Functional Device in a shared resource area is available. Print charges for use of these facilities would be recharged on a quarterly basis and are reviewed on an annual basis.
- For high volume printing there is a Print Room and we are happy to provide a quote for any requirements.
- Use of communal areas including courtyard garden.
- Onsite parking (on a first come first served basis) and covered cycle store. There are 147 spaces in the barrier controlled staff car park and 27 spaces in the visitor car park. Both car parks include spaces for disabled users. Nearby off site parking is also available.
- Wyre Forest House is a ‘No smoking’ site; smoking is not allowed in any part of the building or on any part of the site.
Wyre Forest District Council is inviting interested parties to submit an expression of interest in a cafe/catering service business lease opportunity at Wyre Forest House.
The business opportunity would be offered under a lease agreement as indicated below:
- Full internal repairing 5 Year lease for the rental of the cafe area with permitted use for a cafe/catering provider.
- The lease agreement to include provision of sub-meters for the tenant to pay outgoings relating to the premise, e.g. water, energy and telecommunications.
- Rent is inclusive of business rates as the cafe area is not separately assessed for rating.
- The tenant would have use of existing fixtures and fittings, e.g. counter area, sinks, extraction, dining tables, chairs etc. (full inventory to be provided)
- The existing catering equipment would be left in situ on the basis that the tenant is responsible for ongoing maintenance, repair and replacement of such equipment (full inventory to be provided).
- The tenant would be responsible for their waste disposal and could either pay Wyre Forest District Council for waste disposal at a cost of £504 per annum (fortnightly collection) or £842 per annum (weekly collection) for an 1100 trade waste bin or make their own arrangements with their preferred disposal provider.
- Tenant to provide their own cleaning arrangements.
- It will be for the tenant to decide their operating hours but the expectation is that there would be coverage during the morning and throughout lunchtime.
Details regarding ICT/Telecommunications Infrastructure included in the rent:
- ICT Infrastructure: use of internet line for connecting to internet, data, phone connectivity and use of wireless network. ICT Helpdesk support (for connectivity, telephone administration and internal room bookings system) and provision of 2 smartcards (access card for: staff car park, doors to Wyre Forest House, internal building security barriers and to operate multi functional devices) and accessories. The internet connections into Wyre Forest House are un-contended fibre leased lines, one with an upload and download speed of 100Mb and another of 30Mb. We would be happy to meet to discuss in more detail with you and your IT representative.
- Telephones: 1 Mitel phone to be provided for both internal and external purposes. This provides a unique direct dial number. The annual line rental for the one phone is included in the overall price. Any external calls made would be re-charged on a quarterly basis. If additional phones were required, a line rental cost of £35 per annum per phone would apply.
Based on the above outline arrangements for a lease agreement, Wyre Forest District Council is seeking expressions of interest for offers in the region of £10,000 per annum.
The granting of any lease is subject to satisfactory financial checks and provision of satisfactory trading records.
Details of one-off set up costs:
There will be a one off cost to the tenant of £500-00 plus VAT for the setup and integration into the council’s ICT / telephone infrastructure and would include:
- Preparation and programme of individual Smart Cards and access control set up for car park barrier, doors to Wyre Forest House and internal building barriers.
- ICT Network setup to enable use of on-line booking system for internal and public meeting rooms, multi functional device and intranet for tenants.
- Named Wireless network setup.
- Set up of DDI and phone system.
- Testing of all systems in advance of occupancy date.
Any other ICT requirements would be subject to a separate discussion and a quote for the cost would be provided at that time.
The £500-00 cost is not included in the annual rental figure stated above due to it being a one off cost.
The council’s legal and surveyor’s costs for drawing up the relevant rental documentation are £450.00 and £150.00 respectively (depending upon the complexity of the agreement). Please note these are one off costs.
All prices stated are exclusive of VAT.
We would welcome the opportunity to discuss any element of this proposal in greater detail and would be happy to arrange a visit to view the building and its catering facilities.
Proposals will be considered based upon the rental figure offered, experience and knowledge of operating a catering business and what your company’s approach would be for the use of the space in this lease opportunity, e.g. operating hours, catering provision etc.
Expressions of interest are to be submitted on the downloadable form and sent to Wyre Forest District Council, Wyre Forest House, Finepoint Way, Walter Nash Road, Kidderminster, DY11 7WF, marked for the attention of Elaine Brookes, Facilities & Asset Manager.
The deadline for expressions of interest is noon Monday, 7 January 2019.